Many of us don’t give much thought to our plumbing system or pipes… until something goes wrong. However, preventative plumbing maintenance can go a long way in keeping your home running safely and smoothly.
We’ve put together a guide to plumbing maintenance, including preventative plumbing tips and advice on how to prevent small plumbing issues from turning into plumbing emergencies.
The Benefits of Preventative Plumbing Maintenance
Save Money in the Long Run
Regular plumbing maintenance can prevent huge repair bills and serious plumbing issues. It is far more cost-effective to schedule regular professional plumbing maintenance rather than pay for major repairs.
A professional plumber can detect problems early and fix them before they can turn into a major issue that requires extensive repair. For example, ignoring a leak can lead to hundreds of dollars lost due to wasted water. A leak can also turn into a burst pipe, putting your home at risk of water damage, mould growth, and thousands of dollars in damage.
Following plumbing maintenance tips and scheduling regular professional servicing for your plumbing system can save hundreds, and even thousands, in the long run.
Help Prevent Minor Issues from Turning Into Serious Problems
If a leak is ignored, it can weaken the pipes and lead to burst pipes. Along with a high repair cost, burst pipes can leave you without water for days. This makes burst pipes an inconvenient and costly plumbing emergency.
Regular plumbing maintenance can reduce your risk of burst pipes, clogged drains, and sewer backups. An experienced plumber will detect issues early and remedy the problem immediately. A simple service check can catch weak spots in pipes, small clogs, or minor leaks before they can turn into major, expensive problems.
A plumber can make sure your sump pump is working properly, ensure your drains are emptying as they should, check the integrity of your pipes, service your water heater, and make sure all plumbing systems are running efficiently and smoothly. Rather than waiting for a plumbing problem to occur, plumbing maintenance can prevent issues from ever arising.
Keep Yourself, Your Home, and Your Family Safe
Regular plumbing maintenance can give homeowners peace of mind by knowing their plumbing system is working as it should. A safe plumbing system allows you to enjoy your house and your family without worrying about plumbing emergencies.
Reduce the Risk of Plumbing Emergencies
Plumbing emergencies are more common than homeowners think. Regular plumbing maintenance can significantly reduce your chance of experiencing a serious plumbing problem.
Many plumbing emergencies start as minor issues that get ignored. When it comes to plumbing issues, even small problems need to be addressed right away. Prompt, professional attention can prevent costly repairs and damage to your home. Regular plumber maintenance can also ensure the safety of yourself, other occupants, and the property.
Common plumbing emergencies include:
- A severe storm or fire damage
- Blocked drains
- Leaking taps
- Burst, broken or leaking hot water systems (especially if there are vulnerable occupants such as elderly individuals or infants)
- Roof leaks that cannot be contained
- Gas leaks
- Low water pressure
- Leaking or burst water pipes that you cannot isolate
- Leaking drains
Related Reading: What Is Considered a Plumbing Emergency?
The Dangers of Neglecting Plumbing Maintenance
Ignoring plumbing maintenance can lead to everything from a minor plumbing issue to a life-threatening emergency.
Possible consequences of neglecting plumbing maintenance include:
- Increased Repair Costs — What starts as a simple, easy-to-fix problem with minimal repair cost can turn into a major issue that requires a costly solution. For instance, a drain that is slow to empty may not seem like much of a concern. But this common plumbing issue can lead to a backup and overflow, leading to water damage and a far more costly problem that requires more tools and time to repair.
- Decreased Efficiency — Without regular servicing, plumbing fixtures can lose efficiency. For instance, a water heater that is serviced regularly will perform better and likely have a longer lifespan.
- Water Damage — A small leak now can turn into a major leak in an instant, putting your home at risk of costly water damage and dangerous mould growth.
- Safety Issues and Health Risks — Neglecting plumbing maintenance can lead to health and safety hazards. For instance, a sewer backup is a major health concern, water damage can lead to harmful mould and mildew growth, and gas leaks can cause deadly explosions.
- Wasted Money — A leaky pipe or running toilet can waste an alarming amount of water — and waste hundreds of dollars.
- Decreased Longevity of Pipes and Fixtures — When cared for properly, many plumbing fixtures can last a long time. However, failing to service a fixture according to schedule or ignoring a problem can greatly decrease the lifespan of pipes or fixtures.
The Importance of Professional Plumbing Maintenance Services
Hiring a professional plumber for regular service and preventative maintenance is one of the most important aspects of keeping your plumbing system working properly and safely.
Always choose a licensed, insured plumber and work with them to develop a regular plumbing maintenance schedule to follow.
A professional plumber will have the experience and equipment to help keep your pipes and fixtures in safe working order. Regular plumbing maintenance services also ensure that a plumber can detect and repair problems as soon as they arise, helping to prevent plumbing emergencies and costly problems.
Regular maintenance services for your pipes and plumbing fixtures also ensure that you have a trusted, experienced plumber to call in the event of an emergency. Rather than wasting time researching emergency plumbers in an emergency, you will know just who to call.
When choosing a Perth emergency plumber, consider:
- How many years of experience do they have?
- Are they licensed and insured?
- Who answers the phone? A friendly, experienced employee or an answering machine?
- What is the estimated response time in a plumbing emergency?
- Do they offer follow-up services to make sure everything is resolved?
- What are their accreditations?
- Are they available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?
If you are looking for an emergency plumber in Perth with years of experience, a large base of loyal customers, and a caring, insured team, please contact us at Expand Group for all your plumbing needs.
Preventative Plumbing Maintenance Tips for Homeowners
Preventative plumbing maintenance can help keep you free of annoying, costly plumbing issues.
Here are some plumbing maintenance tips to help keep your plumbing system in good working order:
- Regularly check for leaks (check below sinks, check valves, monitor pipes around the toilet, and keep an eye on your fridge, washing machine, and dishwasher)
- Dispose of household waste properly (never dump the food, oil, fats, or grease down drains)
- Use a drain catcher for your bathtub/shower drain to prevent hair from getting washed down the drain
- Avoid harsh, chemical-based drain cleaners as these are often ineffective and can weaken pipes
- Schedule regular professional plumbing maintenance for your plumbing system
- Ask your plumber if you should turn down the water pressure in your home
- If you live in an area with hard water, ask your plumber if you should add a water softener to help prevent build-up in your pipes
- Schedule seasonal plumbing checklists and have your pipes and fixtures serviced and inspected accordingly
- Pay attention to your home’s water pressure and notify your plumber if you notice a difference
- If you notice a nasty smell or gurgling noise coming from your drain, have it checked out by a plumber.
- A drain with stagnant water that is slow to empty should be evaluated by a plumber immediately
- Never dispose of medicine down the drain
- Do not flush cotton, cloth, or fibrous materials
- Never dump flammable substances or chemicals down a drain (i.e. petrol, corrosives, paint, pesticides, etc.)
- If a drain is blocked, stop using it and contact a plumber for emergency plumbing maintenance right away
- Keep debris cleared from drains and gutters
- Clean your garbage disposal regularly
- Clean drains at least once a week (with a deep clean once a month)
Need A Licenced, Professional Perth Plumber?
Being proactive about plumbing maintenance can save you thousands in the long run and prevent plumbing emergencies. By getting small plumbing issues fixed immediately and getting your plumbing systems serviced regularly, you are taking important steps toward keeping yourself, your home, and your loved ones safe.
At Expand Group, we are your dedicated local emergency plumbing solution. From blocked drains and burst pipes to gas leaks, we have the knowledge, experience, and tools to safely remedy any plumbing or gas issue.
Whether you have a drain that takes forever to empty or a plumbing emergency, our team is here to help. We offer 24/7 emergency plumbing to ensure you never have to wait for the help you need. Contact us anytime with questions or concerns and our skilled team will provide prompt advice and assistance.