Signs of a Roof Leak
It is natural to hope you are imagining signs of a leaking roof. However, if you suspect a leak at your business or home, there is a fair chance you do. Here are several signs you have a leak in your roof.
- Damaged or Missing Shingles – Any sort of break in the pattern of your roofing material allows water inside. If you are able, visually inspect your roof, or have a maintenance staff member take a look. You have a leak if you see shingles or tiles that are damaged or missing.
- Spots on the Ceiling – These are an early telltale sign of a leaking roof. These typically begin small and can remain unnoticed for quite a while, especially if they are tucked into a corner of the room.
- Dripping Sounds – Hearing sounds of water dripping inside the walls is an indication you have a leaking roof. These can be difficult to pinpoint, and you need a professional’s assistance immediately.
- Peeling Paint – Often, peeling paint is dismissed as a sign of an aging building. However, it is also an indication that you have a leak in your roof. If you notice ceiling and upper walls peeling in a room with a skylight, you likely have a leak.
- Discolouration on Your Roof – If you see spots on the surface of your roof, it is very likely that you have a leak. Often, the cause is flashing that is defective or poorly made. This allows moisture to gather, causing the spots.