Plumbing is something many people only think about when there is a problem. Unfortunately, by not considering the condition of your plumbing, you are setting yourself up for a plumbing issue.
Many common home plumbing issues homeowners experience can be prevented by contacting a plumber to do regular maintenance and check for issues. By addressing potential problems while they are still small, you can avoid expensive repairs, enjoy an efficient water flow, and extend the life of your plumbing.
Three Common Plumbing Problems Perth Homeowners Experience
- Water Pressure Issues – Whether you are experiencing low water pressure or have instances of high water pressure, contacting a professional will take care of the issue
- Problems with the Water Heater – Leaking tanks, rusty water, and no hot water are all reasons to call a plumber to repair or replace the water heater. Most homeowners do not think about the hot water system until a problem arises, and often simple maintenance could have prevented the problem.
- Clogged Drains – It is frustrating when your drain clogs, and when this happens, many people reach for a chemical unclogging solution. However, calling a professional plumber is a better choice. The chemicals eating through the clog also harm your pipes and the environment. You can also prevent clogs with regular cleaning and maintenance of your drains.
Four Reasons to Hire a Professional Plumber for Small Repairs or Maintenance
- Save Time – You are busy enough without carving a large chunk of time out of your day in the hope of finding and fixing a plumbing issue in your home. By calling a licensed plumber (and not your friend’s brother-in-law), the problem will be identified and repaired quickly
- Save Money – When you call a professional, you will only pay for what is necessary, and your problem will be fixed. You will not need to waste your money on endless “quick fixes” that do not solve your problem or leave your plumbing in worse shape than when you started your attempted repair.
- Peace of Mind – Licensed insured plumbers will fix or replace the necessary elements in your water system. They will stand behind their work, and if something unforeseen happens, they have insurance to cover any costs.
- Adherence to the Law – By law, all plumbing must meet Australian standards. It is illegal for anyone other than a licensed plumber to install or repair plumbing. This is why you should not try big do-it-yourself plumbing projects. If you do plumbing work yourself, you will void the home warranty and insurance policy.
How Often Should Plumbing be Inspected for Maintenance Issues?
Generally, plumbers recommend an inspection once or twice every two years if everything appears normal. However, there are a few circumstances where you should plan for a yearly inspection, such as:
- When you move into a new home, you should schedule a plumbing inspection to be sure you do not have any potential problems on your hands.
- If you have a home built before the 1960s, there is a good chance you have steel pipes that are prone to rusting and bursting.
- If your property has mature trees, the roots can be extensive and, over time, can push through pipes
What are the Benefits of Preventative Maintenance Plumbers?
The most significant benefit of preventative maintenance for your plumbing is the fact that regular maintenance and inspections can save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars in repairs and replacement costs. Preventing plumbing disasters is always the best idea.
Related Article: Why a Plumbing Inspection is Vital When Buying a New Home
How Can Neglect of Plumbing Maintenance Impact My Home?
It is an unfortunate fact that neglecting your plumbing maintenance can bring about significant problems. Some examples of this include:
- Impure Water – Your hot water system is built to preserve its tank. Anodes inside the storage tank are there to rust and oxidise before the hot water tank. However, if anodes are allowed to rust away and are not replaced, your storage tank will begin to deteriorate, and you will get rusty impure water from your taps.
- Dangerous Air Quality – Leaks of any size will eventually lead to mould and mildew. Once this happens, you and your family will breathe in the spores, which can irritate or trigger a reaction in asthmatics.
- Increased Repair Costs – Paying a professional to do minor repairs will save you money in the long run. This is because repairing minor problems helps to prevent major repairs and water damage in your home.
Five Tips to Help You Maintain Your Plumbing System
- Inspect your plumbing for leaks – If you spend a little time every few months ensuring that you have no leaking plumbing, you can save yourself the hassle and expense of more significant repairs in the future.
- Discard your household waste properly – While it may seem convenient to rinse food debris down the drain, you are contributing to a nasty clog. Food and grease will mix in your pipes and wreak havoc with your plumbing.
- Do not use chemical-based drain cleaners – Even though reaching for some type of plumber in a bottle is tempting, you are harming your pipes in the long run. If chemicals are strong enough to eliminate clogs partially, consider the damage they can do to your pipes.
- Deal with leaking taps right away – Not only is the sound of water dripping in your sink annoying, but it also wastes water and could be a sign of a larger issue. If you are not sure how to maintain your taps, contact a professional maintenance plumbing service.
- Watch for high water pressure – Unusually high water pressure can cause tiny leaks that eventually expand and cause significant damage. An overly sensitive hot water tap is a tell-tale sign of excessively high water pressure. If a slight turn of the hot water knob makes your shower much too hot or cold, you could have a water pressure problem and should contact an expert for assistance.
If you are like many Perth homeowners, it is easy to become so busy you forget to keep up with plumbing maintenance. What you neglect today will get your attention down the road. Unfortunately, by the time a plumbing problem is obvious, you could be looking at costly repairs or the replacement of critical elements.
Essential maintenance is your best bet to ensure your plumbing is in good condition and help you avoid unpleasant and expensive surprises. If you are not sure where to start, contact Expand Group to schedule a maintenance visit. The Perth plumbing maintenance experts will check all the vital areas to make sure you do not need to worry. Also, they can show you ways to maintain your plumbing so you can be problem free for years to come.